Well, I'm off to the Game Developer's Conference all next week to do Business. Before I go, I'll leave you with two teasers.
1) Autocap v2 is the new map system. Unlike autocap v1, now it will be fully automated, and with any luck, the map should update by itself roughly once a week (instead of once per six months :P). Kartud has been working hard on this, and we hope to have something running by the end of next next week.
2) I've been working on a new weapon, the Laser Rifle. It will have a range and hit effect like the laser turret (and I may be balancing upwards the laser turret's damage too). To balance out its range and firepower, it will have a reload sequence between shots -- so make each one count.
Just got my Intel Steam Machine earlier today, played around with it a bit and got a SUPER early test build of 8BitMMO running on the hardware! Check it out!
Special thanks to Tom Miller / Honin Myo Audio for music used in this video!
* Into The Wilderness
* Grassy Meadow
Java has helpfully released an update which breaks some applets, including 8BitMMO. I'll be taking a look at this shortly, but in the meanwhile you can still use the Desktop Edition or the Steam Edition.
UPDATE: Applet should now be fixed
There's now an official way to request support from a moderator or myself -- if you're having troubles, you can now head on over to 8BitMMO Support and we'll get you sorted out. Of course, we'll also still be in-game & on the forums as usual
This weekend I participated in the HOGJam gamejam at REACTOR. The theme of this weekend was Perseverance. While most teams had a couple people, our team ended up having eleven people! This led to everyone else calling our team 'the big ass team,' and we rolled with the name. Even though we had so many people, we were able to create a cohesive game that's pretty neat.
In our game, you are a team of two rock climbers trying to reach the top of the mountain. Each player has normal movement buttons, a persevere button, and a let-go button. The let-go button can be used to swing, but be sure your friend is tapping their persevere button or you'll both go flying off the mountain! How high can you reach?
- You will want a second player to join you
- Keyboard controls:
Player 1: Movement WASD, Q let-go, E persevere
Player 2: Movement arrow keys, Enter let-go, Spacebar persevere
- You can also plug in two game controllers and use those instead of keyboard
- Persevere must be tapped repeatedly to reach maximum grip -- but if someone is hanging off you it will decrease, and it will decrease much faster over time.
- Game is designed to be played in 16:9 resolution (ie, 1280x720, 1920x1080, etc), but will probably work in whatever.
- The scream audio is the dev team actually screaming (recorded at 2am in a closet with the lights off :P)
Windows exe download (md5sum: d222f9bec102f67ac7512d8cc8a1382f)
It's been a fun weekend, and I'll be back to work as usual tomorrow on 8bit