Many players have been requesting this feature lately, so here you go: the Buy Box is now available! Now you can sell items without being online.
Place items in the box you want to sell. Another user can later purchase the entire contents of the box for a gold fee that you have set. You can later retrieve the fee from the box.
We have a new edition of the Offices of LOL & LOL, which Sage has masterfully rebuilt. Check it out at Root.
Please join me in welcoming four new mods to the community moderation team: Retsejnomis, Black_Jack, Shcky, and Marbelz.
Kyro is also voluntarily stepping down from the mod team to focus on real-life things. I thank him for his contributions over his tenure as a mod.
Finally, I'd like to add that it was intensely difficult for the existing mod team and myself to narrow down the final contenders for the limited mod positions. Don't fret if you really wanted to be a mod. There are a number of people being eyed for the next round.
This week's update is out:
With Password Doors, you can set a password to allow anyone through who knows the secret.
Also in the shop, five new shirts!
A couple updates today:
- Dice added! Ever needed a random number for a minigame? Now you have one
- Water death now uses normal respawn rules
- /buypocket - purchases a new pocket universe for 10p. Pocket will be a standard new pocket (2x2 regions big with no townstone placed yet).
A little more than a year ago, we launched on Steam Early Access. I'm excited to now transition to full release!
Based on user feedback, I've added during that time:
- Music from chiptune legends Danimal Cannon, Zef, PROTODOME, and Honin Myo Audio
- Many new buildables, including household goods and many new kinds of blocks
- Laser Turrets
- New weapons, like the Hammer or Laser Rifle
- Achievements & Trading Cards
- The Oven, to allow for transforming items into other items
- New user interface, including improved inventory, quest window, and build tools that more clearly indicate what build mode you're in
- Localization into Japanese, German, and Spanish
- Performance enhancements
- An all new megamap to handle the massive size of the world -- a player-built space now larger than the combined landmass of the United Kingdom.
- Pocket Universes, your own private universe to build in without having to find a spot on one of the main maps
- Pocket Townstones to allow players to start a town with only gold
- Containers - store objects in a box with various permission levels
- Seasonal events, like CalcMMO or the Easter Egg Hunt
- Mac & Linux builds
- Transponders, a whole new PvE/PvP game mode that rewards smart base building. Can you survive the attack?
- And many other smaller updates
Thanks for being part of the community! I couldn't have done it without you
At 3PM Pacific, we'll be celebrating our official 1.0 launch! But it hasn't been quick to get here. 8BitMMO's development originally started in 2001, and had a great many rewrites in the intervening fourteen years.
Over the years, I have saved screenshots of what the project looked like. I've also provided below some insights as to my thought process and other stuff going on in my life. This post ended up being far more personal than I intended, but maybe it'll end up being useful to someone out there. Indie dev isn't an easy road. I've had great victories and bad times both. So ready your modems, because this post is gonna be long.
Experimenting with a couple notable changes aimed at making it easier to build cool stuff for players of all levels without also breaking the bitconomy too badly (hopefully):
- Added Mystery Boxes, which allow you to randomly get a plat block (or maybe even a rare block) for a mere 1,800g. (This might be way too low, but let me know what you think in the comments)
- Goldcap upped from 1k to 2k per gold cycle
- Mobs give more gold per kill, especially low level mobs
- Expand blocks cannot be used for the first ten seconds of their existence to prevent accidental use when opening a mystery box
- Dungeon items are much cheaper (hopefully we'll see more player-built dungeons in future)
- 250+ and 2k expand blocks now available for direct purchase in the shop
Still experimenting with the balancing on this, so let me know what you think.
UPDATE: Based on everyone's feedback, I've just made the following changes to the Mystery Box:
- Upped price, now costs 3750g
- For common items, the items given will bias towards less expensive items & dungeon items (the more expensive the item, the less likely it is)
- Rares are now more rare
- Fixed mystery box shop description in foreign languages
Today's update brings eight new plastics:
There's also in-game support for Spanish now thanks to Chris_Ramos! Website translations should be uploaded soon.