Transponder backers can now try out Transponders for themselves by:
- Launch game on Potato server
- In web browser, go here
- Click option for Transponders on Potato
- Within 30 seconds, they should show up in your inventory
It's still super early, but you can place a Transponder in your pocket universe and (attempt to) defend it. Right now surviving the full five minute round is very tough, but I'll be doing more balancing on this in future.
Transponders will cause waves of mobs to attack you, including other players if they use a Combatpad (there's one in Potato's Root). Waves will get progressively more difficult, influencing how many mobs/other players are spawned in.
While in a match, players with red name are enemies, green names are allies, and white names are observers (they cannot cause damage to blocks or players).
Please note that mobs/players CAN destroy blocks, so don't have any important blocks you care about (especially plat blocks) in the pocket universe when a Transponder is active.
8BitMMO is an awesome indie construction sandbox game, but it's not free to develop and run. That's why every year we do a fundraiser / sale to help raise money for servers and development.
Our server infrastructure costs about $445 each month, so our goal for this sale is to cover server costs for the next year ($5,340). Every purchase helps offset this cost! If we manage to reach this goal, I will double your gold & plat purchased during the fundraiser!
Support development and get great rewards. In addition to the usual gold & platinum you get from purchases, for the next month you get extra goodies -- read up here for details.
Note that any October purchases have been grandfathered into the fundraiser -- I figure that's only fair since folks are used to October purchases being part of the fundraiser and I was late in starting this year.
Here are the pics & video from my trip to Japan last month. I had such an amazing time, I'd probably move there for a while if I spoke Japanese and had a visa
I've been getting a few questions about if Octoberbit is happening this year (Octoberbit is our usual monthlong fundraiser drive/plat sale in October). I e-mailed our top fifteen-ish backers of prior years, and didn't get much interest for doing one this year, so we're probably going to skip it for this year.
That being said, if there's substantial interest from other players, we could still do it. Here's what the reward tiers could be below. These are not finalized at all, just brainstorming at this point.
(Each tier includes the tiers of the previous tiers. All prices are in US Dollars)
- $1+: Thank you!
- $5+: Receive Gold / Plat pack equivalent to pledge amount, plus a TBD amount of bonus gold/plat (what should this bonus % be?)
- $15+: First to get access to the New Update. It's going to be awesome.
- $25+: Trap Kit: Deter invaders with a collection of 10x spike traps and 2x turret traps (30 plat value)
- $50+: Limited edition Octoberbit 2014 in-game hat
- $70+: Second Pocket Universe, pre-expanded to 4x4
- $100+: a 2k region expand block for each $50 pledged ($100 = 2x blocks, 150 = 3x, etc...)
- $200+: Premium block set: 100 half-size marble blocks, 100 full-size marble blocks, 100 half-size red stone blocks, 100 full-size red stone blocks, 100 black tile blocks, all stored in a Big Cardboard Town Box (4 plat, 12k gold value)
- $300+: Game credit - your name included in /credits
- $500+: Origin plot?
- $1000+: Work with me to create a custom designed hat, shirt, accessory or decorative building item, for your own use or share with your friends (will provide 1,000 hat tokens to give out as you desire).
If you're interested in doing Octoberbit this year, please make a preliminary pledge here. If we can hit $2k in pledges, we'll do it.
We just won Best Technological Game at Tokyo Game Show's Sense of Wonder Night 2014!
A couple new things in today's build:
- Alt+Enter = Fullscreen!
- New language option: Japanese. (Not all strings have been translated yet though)
- New language option: Goggles Translate (Just for fun, I ran the Japanese translations through Google translate to get English strings again. :P)
This weekend, I participated in a gamejam event, where people come together to make a game in 30 hours.