Welcome to 8BitMMO! Check out this FAQ for quick answers:
I'm having weird Java issues / it says I'm missing a plugin
Here's a list of things to check:
- Try restarting your browser.
- Bring up task explorer (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and killing any Java instances, then refresh the page
- Please install Java from Java.com. You'll want to use the latest version of Sun Java 6. Java 7 is currently in developer preview, and doesn't consistently work with the game yet.
- If you're using non-Sun java, that also could be an issue
- If your browser says you don't have the Java plugin but you did install it, check to see if you're using the 64bit version inside a 32bit browser. One user had this issue in Chrome, and resolved it by installing the 32bit Java instead of 64bit Java
- Try a reboot, especially if you just installed java, or changed java versions. This has helped in at least one case and saved hours of troubleshooting.
It says my Java is old
Please make sure you have installed the latest Java 6 available. Java 7 should also work (no guarantees on that yet though). On Windows, head over to Java.com to get the latest version. On Mac this can be tricky, but try this video tutorial and let me know if that works. For Linux, please consult the documentation for your distro on how to install/get the latest Java.
It says my Game Client is old and I need to clear my cache?
Try clearing your browser cache & restarting your browser. Failing that, try a full system reboot.
When I load the game, all I see is a white screen
Try the steps above for weird Java issues. Most likely you need to restart your browser or task kill any java instances (CTRL + SHIFT + ESC) and refresh the page.
I just joined the game, how do I get out of this room?
Check the quests window to see your next steps. Menu > Quests to see it (it's also now displayed at the top of the screen).
How do I open doors / talk to NPCs?
Press E while standing near them.
How do I sword?
I lost my sword somehow!
Go to Menu > Shop, and buy a new sword
Help, what do I do now?
Check your quests window to see your next steps. Talk to the NPCs at the spawn point to get quests.
How do I build? How do I place blocks?
Talk to Draco at the spawn point. He'll give you a bunch of quests that'll teach you step by step how to build.
How do I access the menu?
It's at the top left of the screen. Just hover over it with your mouse and it'll roll down the options
How do I get gold?
Where do I slay LawyerCats / where is the wild areas I can build in?
A lot has been built recently, but if you follow a road far enough outside of town (or just wander in one direction), you should be able to find your way to unpopulated areas. Once you're in uncolonized area, LawyerCats will spawn.
A much faster route is to take a telepad to wild areas - there are several telepads built above and around spawn.
Here's the shortest path to buildable territory (step by step guide)
- Menu > Respawn
- Go north about a screen to the red carpet
- The second furthest telepad (pulsing blue and yellow box) on the right side of the red carpet will take you to Chromia. Stand on it and press E
- You are now in Chromia. Go two tiles left and hit E to go to the milddle of nowhere
- Congratulations, you are now in the wilds! Feel free to build here
Help, I'm stuck!
Go to Menu > Respawn
How do I close all windows (inventory, shop, etc)
How do towns work? I want to be a mayor
I want to join a town!
You'll have to find a mayor and get them to add you to the town. OR, start your own town! (see above question)
Why can I sometimes steal grass?
Dark green grass is 'free' grass. Anyone can pick it up and place it
Light green grass is artificial grass - it is owned, and cannot be griefed. Grass bought from the shop is this artificial / protected grass.
I am going to steal all the grass!
You know you can't sell grass, right? Whatever, have fun
I have an idea / I found a bug
Please post it in the suggestion box so I can keep track of it!
How do I write on a sign?
Type /sign blah in the chat window while standing near it. Talk to Draco nearing the spawning point to learn more.
Where am I?
Easy answer: Menu > Map
Hard answer: If you type /loc it will list your position. IE, it'll show something like '128,128,128:2,3=65'. The part in bold, between the : and the = is the most important part. These are your region coordinates and indicate what x,y chunk of the world you are in. You start the game roughly at 0,0, and as you move east/right the x value gets bigger. As you move south/down, the y value gets bigger.
Where's my stuff?
If you forgot where you placed your items, launch the map via Menu > Map. From there, click "Where's My Stuff?"
I'm having random lag spikes / anything I can do to help performance?
Try toggling off lighting in Menu > Options. You can also toggle off all heavy processing with SHIFT+T, at the loss of lighting & outlining.
How do I trade?
Check out this post on trading
How do I change my color?
Type /color <number> in the chat window, where number is between 1-9.
I have another question
Check in-game or on IRC to see if someone knows, and if not, try the forums or my e-mail.