Potato server has been updated with two new town features:
You can transfer town ownership to someone else with /towntransfer <player name>. You will have to run it twice for it to actually take effect -- there is no undo, so be very careful! Once executed, you will lose your mayorship and the target player will gain it.
There is also a new town role: the Vice Mayor. Users with this role have these permissions:
- Add/remove citizens
- Set/clear Official status for a citizen
- All the permissions of a Town Official
A mayor can make a citizen of the town a Vice Mayor by /townvicemayor <player name>. Removal of Vice Mayor status uses the same command. Given the permissions the target player will have, use with care!
Testing it out
The new features are running on Potato. I'll get them uploaded to Primary as well soon, after they've had a chance to prove themselves stable on Potato first.
The launcher will now retry downloading information if its connection times out, up to a maximum of five times. Previously this manifested as "java.net.SocketTimeoutException: Read timed out"
You should be updated automatically. To check if you are running the latest launcher, your log file will say "Local launcher version:5". If it indicates a lower number, then right click 8BitMMO in steam -> files -> verify integrity of game cache, which should force an update.
If launching via Steam doesn't work, try the logger batch file.
I just added a Santa Hat! It will only be available in the shop for the next couple of days, but you'll be able to wear it now and afterwards. In case you want to celebrate the holidays in July.
Thanks to everyone who joined me for the photoshop livestream that I forgot to announce or plan to do, but happened anyway and was a lot of fun
The new build also contains a second possible fix for the infinite reconnect bug.
- Fixed issue where player's color wasn't being loaded correctly
- Possible fix for the infinite reload on login bug
- Proper disconnect screen for when server goes away
- Builds now contain extra debugging information
- Mods now have teleport abilities
On some systems, Java is trying to use some sort of broken ipv6 stack, so Launcher v4 uses a command line option to force ipv4. This may fix some people's connection errors.
You should be updated automatically. To check if you are running the latest launcher, your log file will say "Local launcher version:4". If it indicates 2 or 3, then right click 8BitMMO in steam -> files -> verify integrity of game cache, which should force an update.
If launching via Steam doesn't work, try the logger batch file.
Special thanks to Darx for being my test subject!
Just pushed out a new build of the launcher:
- Provides much better debugging information in the log file
- Fixed issue where sometimes the error screen never showed up when an error occurred
- Waits to authenticate until Steam indicates it is ready -- may resolve the forever authenticating bug for some users
- If DLL cannot be loaded (usually due to overly restrictive antivirus / Net Nanny software), an error is properly displayed
- New method of downloading config files - may help those who were having trouble getting latest remote launcher version
- Display error if not logged into Steam
- Added links to FAQ on error screen
You should be updated automatically. To check if you are running the latest launcher, your log file will say "Local launcher version:3". If it indicates 2, then right click 8BitMMO in steam -> files -> verify integrity of game cache, which should force an update.
- Trading scam fixed - now if you change your offer, it unsets the offer accepted status for both you and your trading partner.
- Lighting/low perf mode is triggered more easily now via FPS weighted average - hopefully this will help with some of the reported client lag.
- Noticed Primary server was taking 25 minutes to load last night, did some optimizations and now it loads in 45 seconds!
- Locked out of your safe? No longer do you need to find me -- now you can break into it yourself with /safe owneropen if you're the owner of said safe.
- More accurate memory usage debug reporting (on hitting F10)
- Player can no longer wander into unloaded regions or off the map's edge. No more killing you for your safety
- Names are no longer shown for mobs on a floor above you that you can't see.
I need to do a reorder of shirts so I'm opening it up to everyone to order if you're interested.
They'll be somewhere between $13-$20 each + shipping depending on how many folks buy-in. I don't think Google Wallet allows IRL product purchases like Google Checkout used to, so we'll experiment with PayPal for this (or you can send Check, Money Order, Bitcoin, etc).
If you want to buy one, please open a support ticket with the subject 'shirt'.
- Gildan 5000 Heavy Cotton Tee
- 5.3-ounce, 100% preshrunk, open-ended carded cotton
- Classic loose fit for all-day comfort
- Shoulder-to-shoulder tape and seamless collar
- Double-needle neck sleeve and bottom hem
Lots of misc stuff tonight:
- Blue sword & Pixel Pistol's levels have been swapped -- now you can buy the blue sword to help you get through the Hipster dungeon
- Sign added to Hipster dungeon reminding you to buy said sword
- Made it possible to actually stand on the reward block instead of die at end of Hipster dungeon
- Sir Zombie Brains gives more EXP now
- At level 3 and above, Sir Zombie Brains gives cat or hipster quests if he's run out of player quests to give you
- For level 1 & 2, Sir Zombie Brains now gives quests in the pattern: 1) slay quest, 2) reward block quest, 3) if still not leveled up, a reminder that new quests are coming when you hit the next level and another slay quest
- Two new hats added! They're part of the upcoming Steam Founder's Packs that you'll be able to get on Friday via Steam
- Game server no longer hangs if IRC server dies
- Mutes are now remembered between server reboots
- Auto-mute for chat flood
- Horizontal scrollbar should no longer show up when you complete a reward block quest
- Lawyercat quests should now update in quest window
- Purchasing scripts set up to handle new steam packs
Please join me in welcoming Meep42 and Sage to the Community Moderators program.
They've been active for at least the past few months and demonstrated their helpfulness to new players, so I think they'll be great additions!